How to Build Great Products: Insights September 2012
Event on 2012-09-28 09:00:00
This conference is one in a series that the organizers throw twice a year to elevate the art and science of product development for technology and media firms.
The primary goal of the conference is to provide insight into strategy and technique for developing digital products that are used by lots of people, frequently.
- Blake Eskin, 29th Street Publishing
- Deanna Zandt
- Elliott Breece, Songza
- Eric Stromberg, Oyster (formerly of Hunch)
- Greg Yardley, (formerly of Flurry and Pinch)
- Ian Spalter, FourSquare
- Jacob Lewis, Figment
- Josh Elman, Greylock Partners
- Kevin Kearney, Hard Candy Shell
- Khoi Vinh, Mixel
- Lauren Feldman, RockYou (formerly of Arkadium)
- Matthew Smith, Shutterstock
- Michael Bourke, Elementality
- Peter Kay, Norton Digital
- Rebecca Garcia, Greatist
- Robert Gaafar, CropUp (formerly of Carrot Creative)
- Sarah Judd Welch, LoyalCX
- Sam Moreau, Microsoft Design
- Thaniya Keereepart, TED
- Ty Ahmad-Taylor, FanFeedr
- Valla Vakili, Small Demons
- 9a-9.30a Light breakfast and schmoozing (food provided; light on the schmooze)
- 9.30-9.35 Welcome by Ty Ahmad-Taylor and Kevin Kearney
- 9.35-10.20 Kevin Kearney, Hard Candy Shell "Free, Ugly, and Desperate: The State of Digital Content Products"
- 10.20-10.30 Break
- 10.30-11.20 Sarah Judd Welch, LoyalCX, "Community-as-Product: Where Community Fits into Product Development"
- 11.20-11.30 break
- 11.30-12.15 Panel discussion on "The future of publishing and digital, if there is one" moderated by the fantastic Deanna Zandt with Peter Kay, Norton Digital; Valla Vakili, Small Demons; Eric Stromberg, Oyster (formerly of Hunch) and Jacob Lewis, Figment
- 12.15-12.30p Break
- 12.30-12.45 Mini-Ignite presentation showcase (three presentations on insight) moderated by Ian Spalter of FourSquare
- Michael Bourke, Elementality "Best practices to accelerate product development"
- Lauren Feldman, RockYou (formerly of Arkadium) "How to optimize for Facebook's virality channels"
- Blake Eskin, 29th Street Publishing "Optimizing for good Chinese food in Prospect Heights using lean techniques"
- 12.45-1.30 Lunch/Break (food provided)
- 1.30-2.10 Sam Moreau, Microsoft Design "Creating a large-scale UX that works across devices"
- 2.10-2.25 Break
- 2.25-3.00p Ignite Presentations (six presentations on insight) moderated by Ian Spalter of FourSquare
- Thaniya Keereepart, TED "Optimizing the product experience for a conference on ideas"
- Ty Ahmad-Taylor, FanFeedr "How to choose your next product development job"
- Elizabeth Chan, Conde Nast, "Adding social gaming at a traditional media company"
- Robert Gaafar, CropUp (formerly of Carrot Creative) "How to approach a 'new' product category"
- Greg Yardley, (formerly of Flurry and Pinch) "Making the transition from Product Developer to Product Leader (Ignoring people)"
- Rebecca Garcia, Greatist "Best practices for site speed optimization for large scale sites"
- Sarah Judd Welch, LoyalCX, "The Instagram Effect: Community for Mobile Apps"
- 3.00-3.40 Matthew Smith, Shutterstock "Innovation & New Products at a Large Company"
- 3.40-3.50p Break
- 3.50-4.20 Khoi Vinh, Mixel "Figuring Out Failure: Re-learning, Re-thinking and Re-inventing"
- 4.20-4.55 Elliott Breece, Songza "From Amie St to Songza: The Music Pivot (A Success Story)"
- 4.55-5 Endnote
- 5-6 Drinks
Soho House also has rooms if you want to spend the night beforehand.
at Soho House
29-35 Ninth Avenue
New York, United States